Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Music: Rediscovering the Trumpet


Day 25 Post 12

The trumpet has always been a part of my life. When I was born, my father gave me a small-sized trumpet as a toy. During my youth, I really don't remember a time where performing wasn't a part of my life. As an adult, I have lost my musical creativity. I was too preoccupied in trivial affairs that I lost focus on what makes me happy. 

This past weekend, I decided to once again begin my trumpet studies anew. I was a bit nervous because I haven't practiced--truly practiced my instrument--in years. I decided long ago to settle as a week-end warrior musician because I couldn't put in the time that was necessary to become a professional musician. It's funny, I look at my return to music like that of an athlete, well past his prime, and a couple of years removed from professional sports, deciding to return to the professional ranks. 

However, as the soft piano middle C note introduced itself to my cold apartment, I was welcomed back by my trumpet for the extended respite without judgement. These past couple of days, I awoken already wanting to practice or write music. As the brilliant Forest Gump once said, my trumpet and I were 'like peas and carrots, again." I will keep everyone posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment