Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Little Brothers: No Manual Necessary


Day 11 Post 4

Update: Man. I can't believe that it has been this long since I last posted on blogger. Also, I am aware that I am way behind my goal of 100 post in 100 hundred days--so what, I am a couple of posts behind, no big deal. Well, over the last couple of days, I have been suffering a small bout with a cold-like bug. As it stands at this point, I think I have seen the worst of the illness and I think I am starting to feel better. 

I am writing because of my recent experience with my younger brothers, both equally confusing, energetic, and loyal little teenagers. I rarely get a chance to see them; and when I do, it is usually for a day or a couple of hours. I have come to think about our relationship in two lights: they either respect me and my opinions about their life and conduct with others or they amuse me by listening to my rants in order to get favors from me. Now, I think that our relationship of the former than that of the latter; however, I have made peace with the slight chance that my brothers are using me for their own benefit. Largely, with everyone else, my brothers are uncontrollable and rude. With me, they may act out but I am don't allow their actions dictate my actions. I have taken a gamble with them: I have let my action speak louder than my words. So far, they have reacted positively with my approach towards them. 

Nonetheless, now whenever I have to challenge and agitate my brothers to do something for my mother or a family relative, they are able to accept it--even if they sometimes due tend to state false objections toward the task. To be quite honest, I don't know how long my little brothers are going to keep respecting me as an authority figure. On the other hand, I don't know how long I want to be that authority-type figure in their lives. One time, sooner or later, they are going to grow up to be young adults in this society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment